Selce is a picturesque village located in Croatia, connected by the D8 highway. With a rich history dating back to the 13th century, Selce was once part of the old Croatian municipality of Bribir and came under the possession of the Frankopan family.
This significant event led to the village’s development as a trading town. Today, Selce’s beautiful beach and unique heritage make it an intriguing destination for travelers seeking both relaxation and a touch of history.
Table of Contents
Attractions & Things to do in Selce
1. Gradska Plaža and Poli Mora Beaches
Gradska Plaža is a sandy beach in Selce where you can rent chairs and umbrellas. It’s located near a paved area and the bar Tunar. Poli Mora is a gravel beach with options for chair rentals at a cheaper price and a concrete slab nearby. Both beaches offer various activities like trampolines, pedal boats, and a floating water park.
Travel Tip: Beware of the prices in the bar at Poli Mora and make sure to get a token for shower access. Consider the mini-golf course across the street for additional fun.
2. Stari Toč Restaurant
Stari Toč is a pleasant restaurant in Selce, offering freshly made pasta with white sauce and truffles, homemade gnocchi with shrimps, and other delightful dishes. The terrace provides a calm atmosphere for a relaxing meal.
Travel Tip: Service might be slow, so plan accordingly if you’re on a tight schedule. The food is worth the wait.
3. The Little Church
The Little Church in Selce is a charming building that adds to the local character. While not exceptional in architecture, it’s a nice spot to visit if you’re in the area.
Travel Tip: Don’t go out of your way to visit this church, but if you’re nearby, it’s worth a quick look.
4. Diving Experience
Selce offers diving experiences for beginners and seasoned divers alike. The guidance provided ensures a safe and enjoyable first dive, and it’s an opportunity to explore the underwater world.
Travel Tip: If you’re new to diving, this could be a great place to start. Check with local dive shops for availability and requirements.
Unique Activities in Selce
There are currently no activities. New activities will be planned for the 2024 season.
Day Trips from Selce
1. Plitvice Lakes National Park
From Selce, embark on a journey to Plitvice Lakes National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage site, where sixteen terraced lakes, connected by waterfalls, offer breathtaking views and walking trails.
Travel Tip: Wear comfortable shoes as there are numerous pathways to explore and consider visiting during off-peak hours for a less crowded experience.
2. Krk Island
A short drive from Selce brings you to Krk Island, the largest island in the Adriatic, known for its historic towns, beautiful beaches, and the Biserujka Cave.
Travel Tip: Taste the local wine varieties, especially “Vrbnička žlahtina”, and visit the medieval town of Krk for a blend of history and culture.
Venture to Rijeka, a port city rich in maritime history, vibrant culture, and a host of architectural wonders including the Trsat Castle.
Travel Tip: Check out the city’s market, a lively hub where you can sample fresh produce and traditional Croatian treats.
Where to stay in Selce
Selce, a picturesque town in Croatia, offers a range of hotels for travelers. With its serene beaches and vibrant local culture, Selce attracts tourists from all over the world. Whether you’re looking for luxury, budget-friendly options, or something in between, Selce has a hotel to fit your needs. Here are six hotels in Selce, catering to different types of travelers:
1. Best Reviewed Hotel
Hotel Katarina (★★★★)
- Description: Situated at the entrance of Selce, less than 200 metres from the beach and the city centre, Hotel Katarina offers an indoor saltwater swimming pool and serves a breakfast buffet in the morning.
- Price: € 129 per night
- Rating: 8.7 (Fabulous)
2. Most Luxurious Hotel
Luxury Hotel Amabilis (★★★★★)
- Description: Located right next to the sea, this hotel boasts a private beach, making it a small boutique hotel with stylish rooms and wellness facilities.
- Price: € 220 per night
- Rating: 9.2 (Superb)
3. Budget Hotel
Hotel Slaven (★★★)
- Description: Located just 30 meters from the nearest beach, Hotel Slaven offers an on-site buffet restaurant, a bar, and a terrace. Free Wi-Fi access is available.
- Price: € 83 per night
- Rating: 6.9 (Review score)
4. Hotel for Families
Hotel Marina (★★★★)
- Description: Featuring an indoor swimming pool, Hotel Marina is situated in Selce. The property offers air-conditioned accommodation, free parking, a gym, and a restaurant/bar with a seafront terrace.
- Price: € 162.60 per night
- Rating: 8.6 (Fabulous)
5. Hotel for Couples
Pansion Selce Hotel
- Description: Situated in Selce, 90 metres from Poli Mora Beach, Pansion Selce Hotel offers accommodation with a garden, private parking, a restaurant, and a bar.
- Price: € 150 per night
- Rating: 8.7 (Fabulous)
6. Hotel for Solo Travellers
Annex Slaven (★★★)
- Description: Facing the beachfront, Annex Slaven offers 3-star accommodation in Selce. The hotel features a shared lounge, restaurant, and bar, along with a 24-hour front desk and free WiFi.
- Price: € 111 per night
- Rating: 7.1 (Good)
Did you know? Facts about Selce
- Selce is a picturesque tourist resort located 3 km south of Crikvenica, Croatia, known for its mild Mediterranean climate, natural beauty, and clear water, making it a perfect holiday destination.
- The town has an important rehabilitation center that offers treatment for people with rheumatic, respiratory, and physical disabilities.
- Almost the entire coastline of Selce is arranged as a beach, with the Blue Flag certification guaranteeing the excellence of the sea and beaches, and the area is mainly dominated by pebbly beaches.
- The most famous beach in Selce is Rokan, which is family-friendly with shallow sandy parts, and offers numerous tourist facilities, including hotels, restaurants, cafes, mini-golf, and an entertainment center for children.
- Selce offers a diverse range of accommodation options, including private houses, villas, modern apartments, and camp sites, most of which are located close to the sea.
- The town’s outstanding cuisine offers daily fresh fish, local olive oil, fresh vegetables, homemade wine, and traditional meat specialties, providing a unique gastronomic experience.
- Visitors can enjoy various activities such as swimming, diving, surfing, paragliding, walking, jogging, cycling, and one-day trips to nearby islands and national parks.
- Shopping options in Selce include several shops, supermarkets, souvenir shops, markets, and bakeries, with larger shopping opportunities available in Rijeka, 40 km away.
- Nightlife in Selce is relatively peaceful, with opportunities to enjoy local songs, dances, and events, along with cafes on the beaches for drinks and cocktails.
- The nearest airport to Selce is Rijeka Airport, located approximately 24 km away, and the nearest ferry port is in Rijeka, approximately 40 km from Selce.
FAQ about Selce
What are the top tourist attractions in Selce?
Answer: Selce boasts a variety of attractions including its pristine beaches, historical landmarks, and vibrant local markets. Don’t miss out on the Selce Marina and the nearby Crikvenica Aquarium.
How can I find affordable accommodation in Selce for my vacation?
Answer: There are numerous online platforms that offer a range of accommodations in Selce, from luxury resorts to budget-friendly hostels. It’s recommended to book in advance, especially during peak seasons.
Is Selce a family-friendly travel destination?
Answer: Absolutely! Selce offers a plethora of activities suitable for families, such as water sports, kid-friendly beaches, and local festivals that cater to all age groups.
What’s the best time of year to visit Selce for optimal weather?
Answer: The best time to visit Selce is during the summer months, from June to August, when the weather is warm and perfect for beach activities.
Are there any local delicacies I should try while in Selce?
Answer: Definitely! When in Selce, indulge in fresh seafood dishes, traditional Croatian pastries, and locally-produced wines.
How do I get around in Selce? Are there public transportation options available?
Answer: Selce is well-connected with local buses. However, renting a bike or walking is a great way to explore the town and its scenic beauty.
Can I participate in water sports and activities in Selce?
Answer: Yes, Selce is known for its water sports facilities. You can indulge in activities like jet-skiing, paddleboarding, and diving.
Is it safe for solo travelers to explore Selce?
Answer: Selce is generally considered safe for solo travelers. However, it’s always a good practice to stay aware of your surroundings and follow general safety guidelines.