Sveti Vlas, also known as St. Vlas, is a picturesque town and resort on the Black Sea coast in Nesebar municipality, Burgas Province, Bulgaria. Nestled at the foot of the southern slopes of the Balkan Mountains, the town’s history dates back to the 2nd century AD, with influences from Thracians and Greeks.
Named after Saint Blaise, the town has endured a rich history, including pirate raids and population exchanges between Greece and Bulgaria. In recent times, Sveti Vlas has emerged as a quieter alternative to nearby Sunny Beach, attracting tourists from various countries.
The development of the Dinevi marina, the largest in Bulgaria, and the expansion of the beach have added to the town’s allure, making it a favored destination for families and the wealthy alike.
Table of Contents
Attractions and Things to do in Sveti Vlas
1. Dinevi Marina
Dinevi Marina is the largest marina in Bulgaria and a symbol of luxury in the region. It’s a hub for the wealthier crowd, where expensive cars like Ferraris and Porsches can frequently be seen. The marina is surrounded by clubs, restaurants, and beautiful complexes, making it a must-visit spot for those looking to experience the high life in Sveti Vlas.
Travel Tip: If you’re planning to dine or party at the marina, make sure to dress smartly, as some venues may have a dress code.
2. Sunny Beach
Sveti Vlas lies at the northern end of a bay that includes Sunny Beach in its middle. Sunny Beach is a lively and bustling resort area, offering a wide range of activities, nightlife, and dining options. It’s a great place to enjoy the sun, sea, and sand.
Travel Tip: Sunny Beach can be quite crowded during peak season, so if you prefer a quieter experience, consider visiting during off-peak times or exploring other nearby beaches.
3. The Beaches of Sveti Vlas
Sveti Vlas is unique on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast as its beaches face directly south. The beaches were expanded in 2007-2009, and they offer a calm and relaxing environment, making them perfect for families with children.
Travel Tip: If you’re looking for a more secluded spot, explore the various beaches in the area to find the one that suits your preferences.
Located at the southern end of the bay, the ancient town of Nesebar is easily accessible from Sveti Vlas by bus, taxi, or boat. Nesebar is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, known for its rich history, stunning architecture, and charming cobblestone streets.
Travel Tip: Don’t miss the opportunity to explore Nesebar’s historical sites, including its churches and ancient ruins. Guided tours are available for those interested in learning more about the town’s history.
5. Centre of Sveti Vlas
The center of Sveti Vlas offers a variety of restaurants, shops, and local attractions. It’s a great place to stroll, enjoy local cuisine, and immerse yourself in the local culture.
Travel Tip: Visit the tourist office in the center for detailed information on local attractions, events, and recommendations tailored to your interests.
Unique Activities in Sveti Vlas
1. Scenic Tour in Sveti-Vlas for Lovebirds
Spend quality time with your loved one on this 2-hour scenic tour designed especially for couples. Explore the romantic spots of Sveti-Vlas and immerse yourself in its serene beauty. A perfect way to create lasting memories with your partner.
2. Guided Walking Tour
Discover the charm of Sveti-Vlas on a 2-hour guided walking tour. Wander through its picturesque streets, learn about its history, and soak in the local culture. A great way to get acquainted with the town and its hidden gems.
3. Merry Christmas in Sveti-Vlas: A Winter Wonderland Getaway!
Celebrate the festive season in style with a 2-hour winter wonderland getaway in Sveti-Vlas. Experience the magic of Christmas in a unique setting and create unforgettable memories.
Day Trips from Sveti Vlas
Discover the ancient city of Nesebar, a UNESCO World Heritage site, with its cobblestone streets, historical architecture, and beautiful seaside views. Savor local seafood dishes in quaint restaurants lining the old town’s streets.
Travel Tip: Wear comfortable shoes, as many streets are made of cobblestones and can be uneven.
Venture to the city of Burgas, where you can stroll along the Sea Garden, visit the Burgas Regional Historical Museum, and enjoy the city’s beaches and vibrant cultural scene. Don’t miss the opportunity to taste traditional Bulgarian dishes at local eateries.
Travel Tip: The Burgas Salt Pans are a must-visit during summer for birdwatching, especially for spotting pink flamingos.
Explore Sozopol, one of the oldest towns on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast, known for its wooden houses, cobbled streets, and archaeological treasures. The town offers stunning views, a rich history, and beaches perfect for relaxation.
Travel Tip: The annual Sozopol Arts Festival in early September is a cultural treat, but it also means the town can be quite crowded; plan accordingly.
Where to stay in Sveti Vlas
Sveti Vlas, a beautiful seaside resort town in Bulgaria, offers a wide range of accommodation options to suit various preferences and budgets. With over 770 hotels, the city is known for its scenic views, comfortable climate, and vibrant entertainment options. Whether you’re looking for luxury, budget-friendly options, or something tailored to specific needs like family or solo travel, Sveti Vlas has something to offer.
1. Best Reviewed Hotel
Premier Fort Cuisine – Full Board (★★★★)
- Description: Beachfront hotel offering an outdoor pool and located in Sunny Beach.
- Price: €52 per night
- Rating: 9.1 (Superb)
2. Most Luxurious Hotel
Hotel Palace Marina Dinevi (★★★★★)
- Description: Situated on the beachfront at the seaside promenade, this hotel offers elegantly furnished rooms with sea views.
- Price: Prices vary, please check for specific dates.
- Rating: 8.8 (Fabulous)
3. Budget Hotel
Family Hotel Venera (★★)
- Description: Located 150 meters from the beach, this hotel offers a pool area and a restaurant serving Bulgarian and international cuisine.
- Price: €79 per night
- Rating: 8.9 (Fabulous)
4. Hotel for Family
Moonlight Hotel – All Inclusive (★★★★)
- Description: Situated within 10 meters from the beach, this hotel offers spacious rooms and an indoor swimming pool.
- Price: €220 per night
- Rating: 7.9 (Good)
5. Hotel for Couples
Tropics Hotel – Ultra All Inclusive (★★★)
- Description: Beautifully situated in St. Vlas, this hotel offers spectacular views and is only 3 km from Sunny Beach.
- Price: €183 per night
- Rating: 6.6 (Pleasant)
6. Hotel for Solo Travelers
Hotel Genada (★★)
- Description: Only 50 meters away from the beach, this hotel offers air-conditioned rooms with balconies and views of the Black Sea.
- Price: Not available in €, please check for specific currency conversion.
- Rating: 9.5 (Exceptional)
Did you know? Facts about Sveti Vlas
- Sveti Vlas is a town and resort on the Black Sea coast in Nesebar municipality, Bulgaria, and it’s the only place on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast where the beaches face directly south.
- The town was founded in the 2nd century AD by Thracians and Greeks, and it acquired its name in the 14th century after Saint Blaise, with a monastery dedicated to him once existing in the region.
- Until 1920, the population of Sveti Vlas was predominantly Greek, but after a population exchange between Greece and Bulgaria, most local Greeks emigrated, and Bulgarian families from Greece settled in the town.
- Sveti Vlas became a climatic sea resort in 1963 and was officially recognized as a town on February 2, 2006.
- The resort has grown as a quieter alternative to nearby Sunny Beach, with the gap between the two places shrinking as more hotels and holiday apartments are built along the coast.
- Sveti Vlas has seen a rapid growth in the number of foreign tourists, mainly from Russia, Great Britain, Poland, Romania, and Scandinavia, and it’s known as a calm place, making it suitable for families with children.
- The Dinevi Marina, the largest in Bulgaria, has been developed in the area, becoming famous among wealthier people in Bulgaria, with expensive cars like Ferraris and Porsches frequently seen.
- The beach was expanded in 2007-2009 using rocks and sand removed when digging out for the marina, enhancing the coastal experience for visitors.
- Sveti Vlas lies at the northern end of a bay with Sunny Beach in its middle and the ancient town of Nesebar at its southern end, all easily accessible by bus, taxi, or boat.
- The town’s history includes various names and influences, from possibly being called Larissa by ancient Greeks to being known as Kücük manastir or simply Manastir (“monastery” in Greek) during the Ottoman rule of Bulgaria.
FAQ about Sveti Vlas
What Makes Sveti Vlas a Unique Destination on the Bulgarian Black Sea Coast?
Sveti Vlas is the only place on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast where the beaches face directly south. It’s known for its calm atmosphere, making it a preferred destination for families with children.
How Can Travelers Explore the Nearby Attractions of Sunny Beach and Nesebar from Sveti Vlas?
Sveti Vlas lies at the northern end of a bay with Sunny Beach in the middle and the ancient town of Nesebar at its southern end. Travelers can easily access these locations by bus, taxi, or boats going between Sveti Vlas and Nesebar.
What Are the Accommodation Options in Sveti Vlas for Foreign Tourists?
Sveti Vlas has seen rapid growth in the number of foreign tourists, mainly from Russia, Great Britain, Poland, Romania, and Scandinavia. The resort offers various hotels and holiday apartments to cater to different preferences.
How Has Sveti Vlas Evolved as a Tourist Resort Over the Years?
Sveti Vlas has grown as a tourist resort, serving as a quieter alternative to nearby Sunny Beach. The development of the Dinevi marina, the largest in Bulgaria, and the expansion of the beach have contributed to its popularity.
What Activities and Experiences Await Visitors at the Dinevi Marina in Sveti Vlas?
The Dinevi Marina has become famous among wealthier people in Bulgaria, with clubs and restaurants offering luxurious experiences. Visitors can often spot expensive cars like Ferraris and Porsches in the area.
What Are the Historical Significance and Cultural Heritage of Sveti Vlas?
Sveti Vlas was founded in the 2nd century AD and has a rich history, including a monastery dedicated to Saint Blaise. The town’s name became official after 1886, and it has Greek and Bulgarian cultural influences.
How Can Travelers Enjoy the Beaches of Sveti Vlas?
Sveti Vlas offers beautiful south-facing beaches that were expanded using rocks and sand. The beaches provide a relaxing environment for visitors to unwind and enjoy the Black Sea coast.
What Are the Transportation Options Available in Sveti Vlas for Tourists?
Sveti Vlas is well-connected with nearby attractions through various transportation options, including buses, taxis, and boats. Travelers can easily explore the surrounding areas and make the most of their stay in the region.